Traquair House Brewery

Traquair House Brewery

Traquair House Brewery

Traquair House Brewery lies in the wing of the house directly underneath the Chapel. It dates back to the early 1700’s and was originally a domestic brewery serving the house and the estate. It was disused in the early 1800’s but never dismantled. It gradually filled with the family junk until it was completely forgotten.

Peter Maxwell Stuart rediscovered the brewery in the early 1960’s and began brewing again as an experiment in 1965 using all the original equipment and fermenting the ales in the original oak tuns, some of which were over 200 years old.  Footage has recently come to light showing the 20th Laird brewing with his daughter (the present 21st Lady of Traquair).

In the 1970’s the ales gradually gained recognition as “real ales” became rediscovered by organisations such as CAMRA and Traquair was recognised a as a pioneer of micro-brewing. Production slowly increased and enquiries came from all over the world leading to our first export to the USA in the mid 1980’s.

In 1990, following Peter’s death, his daughter, Catherine, took over the running of the brewery and it was expanded in 1994. Traquair employs 2 full time brewers and its rich dark ales are now exported all over the world although production remains tiny at only 1,000 hectalites a year.

Beers can be bought and tasted at Traquair in our brewery shop or can be found at a variety of independent retailers in the UK listed on this site along with contacts for our distributors overseas.